The DJI Phantom 4 Review
With drones all the rage right now, there are dozens of brands on the market, and countless more models to choose from. These modern devices are sophisticated, yet easy to use and fun to fly. They fit a variety of needs from nature watching to surveillance to simply videotaping, drones are a great fit for everyone.
The DJI Phantom 4 drone, in particular, is one of the better drones I’ve had the experience of flying. Released in February this year, this amazing quad has definitely set the bar high for what we can expect in 2016. Even though it has a heftier price tag, it is money well spent for all of the extra additions and high-tech features. There are several reasons that I consider the DJI Phantom 4 is one of the better drones available. From technology to design, the DJI Phantom 4 is a magnificent drone and here are its highlights:
The DJI Phantom 4 comes with several standard items in the box that help it operate at maximum efficiency. This includes:
- The DJI Phantom 4
- 1 Battery
- 1 Gimbal and Camera
- 8 Propellers
- 1 AC Charger
- 1 Remote Controller
- 1 Foam Case
- 1 USB Cable
Assembly for the DJI Phantom 4 is very similar to previous Phantom models and is relatively simple. Everything fits into place where it should and assembly goes by fast. With a few simple tools and by following the instructions included, you will have your DJI Phantom 4 together in no time.
Weight 3 lbs
Max Ascent Speed 13.4 MPH
Max Descent Speed 8.9 MPH
Max Forward Speed 45 MPH
Max Ceiling 400 feet
Max Flight Time 28 minutes
Operating Temp 32-104 degrees
Satellite Systems GPS & GLONNASS
Obstacle Sensory Range 2-49 feet
Camera Sensor 1/2.3”
Lens FOV 94 degrees
ISO Range 100-3200
Max Image Size 4000×3000
Max Video Size 4096×2160
Max Video Bitrate 60 Mbps
Files Systems FAT32, exFAT
Photo Formats JPEG, DNG
Video Formats MP4, MOV, MPEG
Charger 17.4v, 100w
Remote Frequency 2.400-2.483 GHz
Max Transmission Range 3.1 miles
Battery Model Intelligent Flight PH4
Battery Specs 5,350 mAh, 15.2v
The DJI Phantom 4 drone has a quadrangular design with 4 propellers. This allows the drone to land standing and flexible to changing directions mid-air. It also makes the drone more stable in all functions it performs. The overall design of the DJI Phantom 4 is sleek and modern- perfect for any user. The four propellers jut out on top of the four corners of the drone. The camera comes out below the body and in-between the legs. There are several controls on the side of the drone near the antenna which include mode and on/off.
- 4K Ultra HD Camera: The camera attached to the DJI Phantom 4 drone feeds the live video back to the controller as it flies so users can observe everything from the height of the drone as it is in motion. The high-quality resolution makes the captured videos great for saving.
- Several Flight Modes: The DJI Phantom 4 drone comes with several flight modes that you can choose right from the controller. From modes such as tap-to-fly to sport, the different flight modes let the user choose options from autopilot to full control.
- Compatible with iOS and Android: The controller is, of course, one of the handiest features on the DJI Phantom 4. Without it, you could not control the drone. But, what makes this controller stand out from the rest is that you can easily attach any Apple/ Android device, giving you the ability to watch the live feed from the drone in flight, in HD.
- Obstacle Sensor: This feature allows the DJI Phantom 4 to sense when there is something in the way. Usually only on during the tap-to-fly mode, it has an automated response built in to avoid the obstacle.
- GPS-Independent Tracking System: This feature comes in handy when the DJI Phantom 4 is used for surveillance. The GPS-independent Tracking System lets the drone keep track of a specific object. It can follow it silently without needing GPS to keep track of the object.
- Flight Time and Control Range: The drone will last 28 minutes without having to be recharged, which is much longer than many other drone models on the market. As well as the extended flight time, the DJI Phantom 4 also has a wider control range than most other drones. From 5 kilometers away, you can still receive an excellent live feed.
Flying the DJI Phantom 4 is a thrill. Once you get used to the controller and all of the drone’s features, you will feel comfortable taking it anywhere. The controller makes flying the DJI Phantom 4 easier. Once you’ve downloaded and installed the DJI app from the Apple Store or Google Play, you’re then open to a wide range of filming options that can inspire many filmmakers. The live feed is extremely clear for the optimum flying experience. While the video gets less clear the further away the drone is from the controller, the picture is still better than some at their closest point.
The Obstacle Sensor on the DJI Phantom 4 works really well. It never failed to sense any object in its way. You can fly it at trees, rocks, bushes, and even walls, and it will come to a complete halt or fly around it. The only things the sensor does not sense are objects on the side of the drone. You fly the drone by tapping the screen and from there, it can go virtually anywhere. The DJI Phantom 4 has a control range of 5 kilometers. You can view anything within that 5-kilometer radius with relative ease.
The video footage on the DJI Phantom 4 is, again, really impressive, and you wouldn’t want anything less from a high-class drone such as this. Not only does the live feed, streaming from the DJI app present the footage in a high-quality manner, but the camera itself records in HD. The technology used within the drone keep the connection between the controller and the drone strong and doesn’t create lag.
There is a certain feature that comes into play when looking to use the drone for surveillance purposes. The DJI Phantom 4 can lock on to a subject and follow them around. This intelligent feature is great for shooting a moving subject. From your controller, you can watch what you are looking for without lifting a finger.
Popular Questions and Answers
Q: What app do we need for the Phantom 4?
A: You have to download the DJI GO app, from the Apple Store or Google Play, to control video options whilst in flight.
Q: Where do the videos and pictures save to?
A: Everything you record saves onto an SD card inserted in the drone, which is included.
Q: Is the Phantom 4 waterproof? Can I fly it in the rain?
A: I would not recommend getting the Phantom 4 wet. It may cause some permanent damage to the circuit board.
Q: Does the Phantom 4 come with a camera or do I have to supply my own?
A: The Phantom 4 comes with the HD camera and gimbal built in, and is not detachable.
Q: Does the camera record audio as well as video?
A: Unfortunately it doesn’t. It will only record the video.
Where to Buy
Below are the links for the Phantom 4 and some additional accessories you might be interested in.
The DJI Phantom 4 is worth every extra penny you spend. When buying a drone, if you want the best video quality and performance you can get, the DJI Phantom 4 is the drone for you. While it does cost a little extra, all of the features included will completely be worth it. It is easy to operate and produces great quality work. No matter what use you intend to use this drone for, the DJI Phantom 4 will suit your needs perfectly.
Every sensor and high-tech addition make the DJI Phantom 4 the perfect drone. Once you see the HD footage and feel the ease of flying this drone, you will realize the amazing potential the Phantom 4 has, and with care, will be one that lasts for many years.
Thanks for dropping by and reading our DJI Phantom 4 review. If you have any questions regarding this drone, or would like to leave feedback, please feel free to comment below. And don’t forget to share and like us on Facebook.